Smart home statistics show that an increasing number of people are turning their abodes into smart homes. In fact, there are currently an estimated 175 million smart homes in the world. Consumers are typically turning to home automation for reasons of safety, savings, convenience, control, comfort and peace of mind.
1. SafetyYou can enhance your home security by replacing your front-door lock with a smart lock so you can lock and unlock your door remotely. Your smart lock will alert you if you forgot to lock the door. It will also keep a record of all the comings and goings at your home.
There are loads of smart home devices that you can use for security alerts. Your security device could alert you about leaks, smoke, unwanted visitors, when someone rings your doorbell or that you have left a stove plate on. Smart surveillance cameras can be integrated with your home lighting control so that the moment a camera senses movement nearby, the lights go on. This could deter a would-be intruder and provide you with clear images of whoever set off the sensor.
2. SavingsUsing smart thermostats and smart lightbulbs can help to save energy. You can also use an app to remotely turn off lights and any electrical and heating appliances, which will help you save on electricity.
Look out for a home automation system that will monitor your electricity consumption. You will be able to see which devices and appliances are eating the most electricity, which helps you to make the necessary adjustments so the household uses less electricity.
Some home automation systems also monitor water usage, which is a real benefit in places where water usage is expensive.
3. Lock up and goA home automation system gives you complete control of your home lighting, heating and power consumption no matter where you are in the world. Through an app on your smart device, you can access and run your home whenever you are out of town. Your smart devices will inform you of unwanted visitors, constantly monitor all access to your property, and keep lights, and other devices turned off when not in use. You can set things up that curtains and blinds open during the day and close at night and for lights to turn on for a few hours at night to create the impression that you are at home.
Instead of trusting your front door key to your neighbor, you can let him or her in via your smartphone.
4. ConvenienceBeing able to control all of your devices in your home through one interface is very convenient for busy homeowners. Once you have learned how to use one app on your smartphone or tablet, you’ll have access to your connected appliances and other devices throughout your home.
Ideally, you want a smart security system that lets all the separate components work together seamlessly. For example, when one device detects motion, another device should know to turn the lights turn on.
5. Smart home technology is a good investmentAs smart homes become more ubiquitous, more and more discerning buyers are looking to buy properties that feature smart home technology. Many home buyers focus on security, savings and convenience, and smart home technology can provide that.
Smart homes are attractive for young buyers because they are already using smart devices and value convenience. The older buyers value the cost-saving and safety aspects.
According to some resources, home automation can increase the value of a property by 5 %.
Final thoughtsSmart home technology lets you maximize your home security giving you peace of mind while you are sleeping, at work, out for the weekend, or halfway around the world.
If you decide to incorporate a home automation system, you will be increasing the value of your home as many buyers are prioritizing properties with smart home features.